The White Forest Cake is the white version of the classic German cake. It features a 3-layer vanilla cake, a homemade cherry chilling, and a whipped cream frosting. This showstopping cake is a beautiful way to celebrate any special occasion!
The White Forest Cake recipe is a tasty dessert that is sure to please. The fluffy vanilla cake will melt in your mouth, and the juicy cherry filling will make you crave more! This white forest cake is so delicious that you won’t believe it until you try it.
Full of flavor, this cherry cake recipe is new everyone’s favorite dessert. The white cake’s sweetness pairs well with the cherry pie filling, and the whipped cream frosting adds lightness, making this cake a perfect balance.
Why you’ll love this White Forest Cake
- Fluffy white cake recipe made with oil, so the cakes won’t dry and keep their moisture.
- A homemade cherry filling for the best flavor
- A festive dessert, so perfect if you’re looking for a celebration cake.
- Each step is approachable.
This cherry vanilla cake is made with simple ingredients.
The vanilla cakes are made with all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, caster sugar (or granulated sugar), salt, large eggs, milk, vegetable oil, water, and vanilla extract.
The cherry filling is made with cherries (fresh or frozen), sugar, lemon juice, and cornstarch. Optional: Kirsch (cherry liquor for a boozy filling)
The whipped cream is made with heavy cream (full fat), mascarpone cheese (full fat), powdered sugar, and vanilla extract. Note: the mascarpone cheese brings stability.
White chocolate curls and fresh cherries for decoration.
How to make this White Forest Cake
Easy Vanilla Cakes: you need one large mixing bowl. The process is easy as you prepare the dry ingredients in the bowl, then add the wet ingredients. Mix both. Divide the batter into three 6-inch cake tins and bake.
A Cherry Filling ready in 15 minutes. In a nutshell: Heat cherries with sugar until it begins to break down. Add a mixture of lemon juice and cornstarch and cook until it thickens. Let it cool.
Whipped Cream: Add all the ingredients to your bowl. With an electric mixer, beat at low speed until everything is combined. Then, increase the speed slightly and whip until stiff peaks form.
Full instructions are at the bottom of the page. Get all measurements, ingredients, and instructions in the printable version at the end of this post.
Read the entire white forest cake recipe before starting.
- Ingredients at room temperature.
- Do not overmix the batter.
- Weight your batter to divide it evenly into the three cake tins. For me, it was about 300g into each tin.
- Use wet cake strips around the cake tins. It helps the cakes bake more evenly and keeps the edges of your cakes soft.
- Cook on medium heat. Don’t try to speed up the process with high heat.
- Ensure the cornstarch is fully dissolved with the lemon juice before adding it, and ensure the cherry compote is hot when ready to add it. If it’s not hot enough, you may have lumps.
- When ready to use, give a stir with a spoon/spatula to smooth a little bit. If you make it in advance, after a couple of days, it may look like jello, don’t worry, just stir, and the texture will back.
Whipped Cream Frosting:
- Ensure the heavy cream is chilled.
- Use a spoon to soften the mascarpone cheese.
- Sift the powdered sugar.
- Start to whip at low speed until everything is combined, then increase the speed slightly.
- When the heavy cream is whipped, if need it: With a spatula, gently fold the frosting to remove any air bubbles. Be Gentle to avoid the frosting deflating.
How do I store the White Forest Cake?
Store the cake in the fridge, under a cake dome, for up to 2 days.
Can I make it ahead?
You can prepare the cakes one day ahead of time. Once baked, let them cool, and then wrap the cakes (without any frosting or filling) tightly in cling film and place them in the fridge or on your countertop if it’s not too hot. Otherwise, you can freeze the cakes for up to 1 month.
The cherry filling can be made a few days in advance. Cover touching the surface and place in the fridge for up to 1 week. When ready to use, give it a stir to give its texture back.
Try these cakes, next:
If you tried this White Forest Cake or any recipe on the blog, let me know how you liked it by leaving a comment below.