These Tiramisu Cupcakes are a simple way to bring the flavor of the Italian dessert into a cupcake form. The vanilla cupcakes are filled with a smooth coffee pastry cream, then topped with a mascarpone cheese frosting and a sprinkle of cocoa powder.
The Tiramisu Cupcakes are a delicious way to enjoy a coffee-flavored dessert that will have you savoring your favorite beverage in a sweet indulgence. Not to mention, the balance between the vanilla cupcakes and the coffee cream is perfect.
The vanilla cupcakes are made with all-purpose flour, baking powder, caster sugar (or granulated sugar), salt, a large egg, milk, vegetable oil and vanilla extract.
The coffee pastry cream is made with milk, espresso powder, egg yolks, sugar, cornflour, all-purpose flour, and butter. Check my coffee pastry cream recipe for full details and tips.
The mascarpone cheese frosting is made with heavy cream (full fat) called double cream in UK, mascarpone cheese (full fat), powdered sugar, and vanilla extract.
And a dust of cocoa powder for an elegant finish
How to make these Tiramisu Cupcakes
Vanilla cupcakes: put the dry ingredients in one bowl and mix. Then, add the wet ingredients. Mix both. Divide the batter into muffin cases and bake. It couldn’t be easier.
Coffee Pastry Cream: Check my coffee pastry cream recipe for details and tips. It’s easy to make. Just keep in mind that it needs to chill for 2 hours at least.
Mascarpone Frosting: another easy step as you only need to add all the ingredients to your bowl and, with an electric mixer, whip until stiff peaks form.
Once the cupcakes are fully cooled, use a cupcake corer to make the hole in the cupcakes. Fill them with the coffee pastry cream.
Place the mascarpone frosting in a piping bag fitted with a closed star piping tip and decorate your cupcakes.
Dust with cocoa powder when ready to serve. Optional: You can add a coffee bean to decorate.
Full instructions are at the bottom of the page. Get all measurements, ingredients, and instructions at the end of this post.
- Set out all the ingredients at room temperature.
- Don’t over-mix the cupcake batter.
- Let the cupcakes cool completely before filling and frosting.
- An aluminum cake tin provides better results.
Coffee pastry cream: Check the coffee pastry cream blog post for all the tips.
Mascarpone Cheese Frosting:
- Chill the heavy cream
- Loosen the mascarpone cheese with a spoon before using it.
- Start to whip at low speed until everything is combined, then increase the speed slightly until medium speed.
- Go slowly when you dust the cocoa powder if you don’t want to finish with a massive amount of powder on your frosting.
- Add it when ready to serve; otherwise, it will absorb moisture from the frosting.
How to store the Tiramisu Cupcakes?
Store them in the refrigerator, under a cake dome for up to 2 days.
Can I make ahead of time these cupcakes?
Yes, 1 day in advance, prepare the cupcakes without filling and frosting. Then, store them in an airtight container. Then fill and frost a few hours before serving.
You can prepare the coffee pastry cream 2 days in advance. Keep it in the fridge, covered it with plastic wrap pressed directly onto the surface of the cream.
Can we freeze the cupcakes?
The cupcakes themselves, without the frosting and filling, freeze very well. Wrap with plastic wrap, and place in an airtight container. Freeze for up to a month.
- Chocolate-Coffee spin: replace the coffee cream with the chocolate pastry cream with added espresso powder; add the coffee when you warm the milk (step 1).
- Brush the cupcakes with coffee syrup, but don’t soak them heavily to avoid soggy cupcakes.
Try these recipes, next:
If you tried these Tiramisu Cupcakes or any recipe on the blog, let me know how you liked it by leaving a comment below.