Take one bite of this strawberry whipped cream cake, and you’ll be in dessert heaven. That’s not an understatement, I promise. If you love fresh strawberries, whipped cream and vanilla cake, so this recipe is for you.
Loaded with juicy macerated strawberries, this layer cake is simple to make at home. I’m sure everyone will agree this strawberry whipped cream cake is the perfect summer cake for any occasion, like your next birthday cake. And if you need to complete your dessert table, these strawberry-filled cupcakes are the perfect addition.
Why you will love this strawberry whipped cream cake:
If you still need some arguments about why you should make this strawberry and cream layer cake, here are 5 reasons:
- Vanilla cake with strawberries makes a classic pairing that never fails to impress.
- The cake is fluffy and moist, with a delicate vanilla flavor. The strawberries, hero of this dessert, are the perfect complement to this delicious cake.
- This cake is perfect for any occasion, whether it’s a fancy dinner party, a casual afternoon snack, or if you’re looking for a strawberry birthday cake.
- It’s a simple cake to make with easy-to-find ingredients and straightforward instructions. Even novice bakers can make this cake successfully.
- Finally, this cake is just downright delicious with fresh strawberries in the middle.
This strawberry chantilly cake use ingredients that are easy to find in any grocery store. Here are a few notes to ensure you choose the right ingredients. Full list at the end of the post.
For the vanilla cakes:
- Make sure to use good-quality vanilla extract.
- Fine sugar: you can use caster or granulated sugar.
- Milk: whole or 2% milk-fat
- vegetable oil with a neutral flavor like canola oil / rapeseed oil.
Strawberries: I recommend using fresh strawberries when they are in season for the best flavor. Frozen strawberries can contain more water, which may affect your cake’s texture.
Fresh whipped cream frosting: full-fat heavy cream and full fat mascarpone cheese. Don’t go for a light version. The fat aids in stabilizing the whipped cream, ensuring it holds its shape.
- 3 x 6 inch / 15 cm round cake pans
- hand mixer
- palette spatula
- piping bag with tip
- cake board
- cake scraper
Some of these tools are not essential to make this strawberry whipped cream cake, but they will make the process easier.
How to make this cake?
Here is a summary of the recipe. Get all measurements, ingredients, and instructions at the end of this post.
Bake the Vanilla cakes: In a large mixing bowl, mix all dry ingredients together. Next, add the wet ingredients to the dry mixture and stir until combined. Finally, transfer the batter to cake pans and bake.
Prepare the Fresh Strawberries: Dice the strawberries, add sugar, and let them sit for 30 minutes. Then strain off the excess juice through a sieve.
Whip the mascarpone frosting: Add all the ingredients in a bowl and whip until stiff peaks. A quick tip: start whipping at a low speed, then increase the speed gradually. This will help create a more stable frosting.
Once the cakes are baked and cooled, proceed to the assembly.
Fill the cake: Using a cake leveler or a long-serrated knife, level the cakes if needed to remove any domes and to have flat cakes.
Spread the whipped cream on top of the first cake and pipe a rim around the edge. (It will create a dam, and your strawberry filling won’t slip.)
Then, spoon the strawberry filling in the center over the whipped cream until the edge of the dam.
Top with whipped cream and spread evenly with a palette spatula.
Top with the second cake layer, and repeat the process.
Top with the third layer, making sure the layer cake is upside down to have a perfectly flat surface on the top.
Frost the cake: Using an offset spatula, cover the sides and top of the cake with the whipped cream. Use a frosting smoother to smooth the side.
Decorate the top with the remaining frosting and fresh strawberries.
For the vanilla cakes
- Ingredients at room temperature are easier to combine, producing a better texture.
- Don’t overmix the batter. Overmixing will make the cakes tough and dry. Mix just until all the ingredients are combined.
- Weight the batter to divide it evenly
- Use aluminum cake pans for best results.
- To help your cake bake more evenly and keep its edges soft, use a wet strip around the sides of the pan.
- Don’t overbake cakes. Overbaking can dry out the cakes.
Strawberries for the middle
Fresh strawberries are the best ingredient in a strawberry vanilla cake. To get the most flavor out of them, make sure you use them when they’re in season.
Mascarpone Whipped Cream Frosting:
- Make sure the heavy cream is well-chilled before you whip it.
- Stirring the mascarpone cheese with a spoon or spatula will help it blend more easily into the other ingredients.
- For a stable frosting, start whipping at a low speed to combine all ingredients, then gradually increase the speed.
- Homemade, fresh whipped cream is much tastier than store-bought. Avoid the latter, as they tend to be less stable.
- It’s important to let cakes cool completely before adding frosting, so the whipped cream won’t melt.
- To fill a cake with whipped cream, use a piping bag. It makes the process easier!
By following these tips, you can make the perfect strawberry cream cake.
How to store the cake?
Store it in the refrigerator under a cake dome for up to 2 days.
Can I make this strawberry whipped cream cake ahead of time?
You can prepare the cakes a day ahead. Once cooled, wrap them. Alternatively, freeze them up to 2 months. Simply wrap them in plastic wrap and put them in an airtight container before freezing them.
The strawberry filling and fresh whipped cream frosting should be prepared the day you plan to serve the cake.
- You can substitute mascarpone cheese for full-fat cream cheese. The taste will vary slightly, so you might need to adjust the amount of powdered sugar to balance the sourness.
- you can mix the strawberries with other berries.
Try these recipes, next:
- strawberry filled cupcakes, topped with a cute pink frosting.
- strawberry tart, a classic, French tart.
If you tried this strawberry whipped cream cake or any recipe on the blog, let me know how you liked it by leaving a comment below or a rating.