The Non Alcoholic Eggnog Recipe is the holiday beverage that sets the tone for the festive season. Creamy, smooth, with a hint of spice, there is no better way to jump into the Christmas mood with this recipe.
Unlike the traditional eggnog recipe, this homemade version is fully cooked and made with no alcohol, making it the perfect holiday treat for the entire family to drink up.
It’s easy to make, so, whether you’re looking for a homemade, kid-friendly version or because you live outside the US and it might be challenging to find, you’re in the right place to enjoy this popular drink, also called milk punch. Not to mention, this eggnog recipe is the starting point to create a variety of eggnog desserts like these Eggnog Cupcakes.
Heavy cream: also called double cream in the UK
Milk: whole milk or 2% fat
Egg yolks: don’t throw the egg whites. Make macarons, financiers, floating islands, pavlova, and meringues, or try this delicious hazelnut cake.
Sugar: caster sugar or granulated sugar
How to make this non alcoholic eggnog recipe?
The process for the non alcoholic eggnog recipe is very similar to the vanilla pastry cream.
- Add the milk, heavy cream, vanilla extract, cinnamon, and nutmeg into a saucepan. Heat over medium heat until it just begins to steam.
- While the milk is being heated, place the egg yolks and sugar in a bowl. Whisk until well combined, smooth, and a lighter color.
- As soon as the milk is heated, remove it from the stovetop. Pour the milk through a sieve suspended over a large-sized bowl to remove the ground spices. Then, gradually pour the hot milk over the egg yolk mixture, whisking constantly.
- Return the mixture to the saucepan and cook over low-medium heat, constantly stirring for 2 to 3 minutes, until it thickens a bit (if you have a cooking thermometer, the temperature should reach 160F – 72C). Note: The mixture should coat the back of a spoon.
- Pour the hot eggnog into a beverage container or a mason jar and let it cool at room temperature. Then store in the fridge for 4 hours at least before serving. (Once completely cooled, it will be thicker).
Get all measurements, ingredients, and instructions at the end of this post.
The non alcoholic eggnog recipe is easy to make. But, here are a few tips to help you in the process.
- While pouring the hot milk, keep the bowl with the egg-sugar mixture on a tea towel to prevent it from slipping.
- Don’t try to speed up the process with a higher temperature. A higher temperature may cause scrambled eggs, or the eggnog may curdle.
- When ready in the saucepan, ensure the eggnog coats the back of the spoon or reach the temperature of 160F / 72C.
- If you accidentally cooked some eggs, place the mixture through a strainer.
- Let it cool completely to reach the right consistency.
How to store the non alcoholic eggnog recipe?
Store in a sealed beverage container in the refrigerator for up to 2-3 days.
How to drink eggnog recipe?
You can serve it in a pitcher or a bowl.
This Christmas drink is creamy and rich, so you will probably serve it in a small cup.
You can add extra ground cinnamon or nutmeg on the top when ready to serve. Or add whipped cream.
What alcohol can we add to eggnog?
Even if this recipe is written without alcohol, you can still add some when ready to serve: rum, brandy, bourbon, and/or cognac.
Try these recipes, next:
If you tried this Non Alcoholic Eggnog Recipe or any recipe on the blog, let me know how you liked it by leaving a comment below.