This vanilla almond cake is perfect for your next special occasion. With its beautiful layered appearance and delicate flavor, this cake will become the star of your dessert table.
This vanilla almond cake is composed of 3 layers of moist almond cake, a whipped cream filling, and a delicate ermine buttercream. Each step is approachable and easy to follow, so don’t be afraid to make this almond cake from scratch.
To keep this almond cake moist, I use oil in the batter. And to keep this dessert affordable, this cake is made with almond extract. So, if you’re ready to make the best almond cake recipe, grab your apron and keep reading.
Why you’ll love this vanilla almond cake?
- Delicious flavor: an almond flavored cake has a delicate and flavorful taste that is sure to satisfy anyone’s sweet tooth.
- This vanilla almond cake is super moist and stays moist for 2/3 days, so perfect if you want to make it ahead of time.
- Versatility: This cake is incredibly versatile and can be served on various occasions. This wedding cake flavor is sure to please your guests for a birthday party, baby shower, dinner party, or if you plan to make your own wedding cake for an intimate party.
To make this vanilla almond cake, you will easily find the ingredients used in this recipe at any grocery store. Here are some notes to consider when choosing them. Full list at the end of the post.
- Vanilla extract and almond extract: use good quality. Don’t save on it. That’s the key ingredient for the flavor.
- Fine sugar: you can use caster or granulated sugar.
- Milk: whole or 2% milk-fat
- vegetable oil with a neutral flavor like canola oil / rapeseed oil.
Fresh whipped cream filling: full-fat heavy cream and full-fat mascarpone cheese. Don’t go for a light version. The fat aids in stabilizing the whipped cream.
Ermine Frosting: the full list is detailed in the ermine frosting recipe.
- 3 x 6 inch / 15 cm round cake pans
- hand mixer
- palette spatula
- piping bag with a tip
- cake board
- cake scraper
Some of these tools are not compulsory for making this vanilla almond cake but can simplify the process.
How to make this almond cake?
Here is a summary of the recipe. Get all measurements, ingredients, and instructions at the end of this post.
Bake the cakes: Combine all dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Then, add the wet ingredients, and stir. Transfer the batter to cake pans and bake.
Whipped cream filling: Add all the ingredients in a bowl and whip until stiff peaks form. Begin whipping at a low speed and gradually increase the speed. This will aid in creating a more stable frosting.
Ermine Frosting: For a complete and detailed recipe, be sure to check out the blog post Ermine Frosting. It’s full of tips and step-by-step process.
Once the cakes are baked and cooled, proceed to the assembly.
Fill the cake:
Using a cake leveler or a long-serrated knife, level the cakes if needed to remove any domes and to have flat cakes.
Spread the whipped cream on top of the first cake. Note: I find filling a piping bag with whipped cream easier than spreading it with a spatula.
Top with the second cake layer, and repeat the process.
Top with the third layer, making sure the layer cake is upside down to have a perfectly flat surface on the top.
Frost the cake:
With an offset spatula, add a thin layer of ermine buttercream to the sides and top of the cake. Then, refrigerate the cake until the frosting sets (20-30 minutes).
Take the cake out of the refrigerator and generously frost both the top and sides of the cake with buttercream.
Use a cake scraper to smooth the side.
Decorate the top with the remaining buttercream. Fill a piping bag with a closed star tip, and pipe spirals around the border.
Almond layer cakes
- Ingredients at room temperature make them easier to blend, producing a better texture.
- Avoid overmixing the batter, as it can lead to a tough and dry cake.
- Mix the ingredients only until they are fully combined.
- Weight the batter to divide it evenly.
- Use aluminum cake pans for best results.
- To help your cake bake more evenly and keep its edges soft, use a wet strip around the sides of the pan.
- Don’t overbake cakes. You don’t want to end with dry cakes.
Whipped Cream Filling:
- Ensure that the heavy cream is thoroughly chilled before whipping.
- Don’t skip the mascarpone. It helps to achieve the right consistency, thick enough but still soft to fill a cake.
- Stir the mascarpone cheese using a spoon or spatula. It will blend more easily with the other ingredients.
- To achieve a stable frosting, begin by whipping the ingredients at a low speed to combine them, then gradually increase the speed.
- Homemade whipped cream is much tastier than store-bought. Avoid the latter, as they tend to be less stable and don’t have the right consistency for cake filling.
Read the tips on the blog post ermine frosting. I detailed everything, even troubles and how to fix them or how to achieve a white frosting.
- It’s important to let the cakes cool completely. Otherwise, it will make it difficult to cut the dome and also cause the filling and frosting to melt.
- To fill a cake with whipped cream, use a piping bag. It makes the process easier! Just pipe a giant snail.
How to store the cake?
Store it in the refrigerator under a cake dome for 2-3 days. Bring it back at room temperature for 20-30 minutes before serving to allow the buttercream to become soft again (adjust the time according to your room temperature)
If it’s not too hot, you can leave the cake at room temperature for 2 to 3 hours.
Can I make this vanilla almond cake ahead of time?
You can prepare the cakes a day ahead. Once cooled, wrap them. Alternatively, freeze them for up to 2 months. Simply wrap them in plastic wrap and put them in an airtight container before freezing them.
You can start the ermine frosting the day before. More information on the ermine frosting blog post.
The fresh whipped cream should be prepared the day you plan to serve the cake.
- Go for a semi-naked cake if you want to simplify things. It will still be gorgeous, like my chocolate berry cake.
- Add some fruits on the top for a fruity version. I tried with strawberries, which was delicious.
Try these recipes next:
If you tried this vanilla almond cake or any recipe on the blog, let me know how you liked it by leaving a comment below or a rating.