These Hot Chocolate Cupcakes feature an easy chocolate cupcake recipe topped with hot chocolate whipped cream swirled together with classic whipped cream. They’re full of flavor, chocolatey, and so cute with the swirled frosting.
The Hot Chocolate Cupcakes are a delicious way to enjoy the winter season when you need to warm up from the cold weather outside. They are not only tasty but also easy to make. Add mini marshmallows to decorate them if desired, and you have the perfect cupcake.
Why you’ll love these Hot Chocolate Cupcakes
- A moist chocolate cupcake recipe, easy to make in one bowl.
- A swirled frosting which creates a wow effect, and it’s easier than it might think.
- One of the favorite drinks turns into a cupcake form.
- These hot cocoa cupcakes are a perfect winter treat and holiday cupcakes but also for anytime of the year for chocolate lovers.
The Hot Chocolate Cupcakes don’t require special ingredients.
The chocolate cupcakes are made with all-purpose flour, Dutch process cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, caster sugar (or granulated sugar), salt, large eggs, milk, water, and vegetable oil.
The swirled frosting is made with heavy cream (full fat), mascarpone cheese (full fat), hot cocoa mix, powdered sugar, and vanilla extract.
Note: Make sure to use Dutch-process cocoa powder (also called baking cocoa) for the cupcakes and Hot Cocoa Mix for the hot chocolate whipped cream.
Mini Marshmallows for decoration if desired.
How to make these Hot Chocolate Cupcakes
Easy chocolate cupcake recipe: in one large bowl, mix the dry ingredients. Then, add the wet ingredients. Mix both. Divide the batter into the muffin cases and bake.
Hot chocolate whipped cream: Add all the ingredients to your bowl. With an electric mixer, beat at low speed until everything is combined. Then, increase the speed slightly and whip until stiff peaks form.
Whipped Cream: repeat the process with the vanilla whipped cream.
Once the cupcakes are baked and cooled, pipe the frosting and decorate.
Full instructions are at the bottom of the page. Get all measurements, ingredients, and instructions in the printable version at the end of this post.
- Ingredients at room temperature to prepare the cupcakes.
- Don’t over-mix the cupcake batter.
- Ensure the cupcakes are completely cooled before processing to the assembly.
- Use an aluminum cake tin for best results.
Hot Chocolate Whipped Cream and Whipped Cream:
- Ensure the heavy cream is chilled. Use a spoon to soften the mascarpone cheese.
- Start to whip at low speed until everything is combined, then increase the speed slightly.
- To create this beautiful, swirled frosting, use 3 piping bags:
#step 1: Transfer the hot chocolate whipped cream to a piping bag.
#step 2: Transfer the vanilla whipped cream to another piping bag.
#step 3: Cut the ends of both piping bags. Then, add these both piping bags to a third piping bag fitted with a closed star tip and decorate the hot chocolate cupcakes.
How to store the Hot Chocolate Cupcakes?
Store them in the refrigerator for up to 2 days
Can I make ahead of time these cupcakes?
You can prepare the cupcakes, without the frosting, 2 days in advance. Then, store them in an airtight container.
Can we freeze the cupcakes?
The cupcakes themselves, without the frosting, freeze very well. Wrap with plastic wrap, and place in an airtight container. Freeze for up to a month.
Try these recipes, next:
If you tried these Hot Chocolate Cupcakes or any recipe on the blog, let me know how you liked it by leaving a comment below.