Time to add this French yogurt cake to your repertoire. This iconic cake is not only delicious but also holds a special place in French culture as it’s often the very first cake recipe taught to youngsters due to its easy preparation.
This French yogurt cake ticks all the boxes when you’re looking for an easy cake. It’s literally a breeze to make and is affordable, what more!
- Quick and easy to prepare: ready in less than 1 hour (cooking time included)
- Made with simple ingredients
- Moist, delicious and customizable (see section “variations”)
- Perfect for baking with kids
- No need for a scale to weigh the ingredients. The yogurt container serves as a measuring cup in this recipe ( I also included metric measures if needed).
Ingredients and Notes
Here is the list of the ingredients with notes for a few of them:
Eggs: at room temperature
Yogurt: plain milk yogurt or Greek Yogurt. In France, a classic yogurt container is 125g. If you’re in the US, choose the 4oz.
Fine sugar: caster or granulated sugar
Vegetable oil with neutral flavor like canola oil
All-purpose flour: sieved
Vanilla extract: optional
How to make this French Yogurt Cake?
Here is a recipe summary with step-by-step photos to help you in the process of making this recipe.
Pour the yogurt into a mixing bowl. Keep the container, rinse it, and dry it. It will serve as a measuring cup.
Add sugar to the yogurt. Mix well.
Add the eggs one at a time. Beat well after each addition
Add the flour and baking powder. Mix until incorporated but do not overmix.
Add the oil, vanilla extract and mix.
Pour the batter into a lined pan and bake for about 35 minutes.
Let the cake cool on a rack.
Get all the ingredients, measurements, and instructions at the end of this post.
- Drain your yogurt before using it if you see a bit of liquid when opening it.
- Ingredients at room temperature.
- Do not overmix the batter.
- To prevent hard edges and a domed cake, use a wet strip around the sides of the pan.
- Do Not overbake; it will dry your cake, and you will lose the moist texture.
How to store this French Yogurt Cake?
The cake is best enjoyed the day it is made. Store any leftovers for up to 2-3 days in an airtight container at room temperature.
Can we freeze this cake?
You can freeze this yogurt cake for up to 2 months. Simply cover it with cling film and store it in an airtight container. If desired, you can also slice the cake, freeze the individual slices, and thaw only the number of slices you need.
Thaw at room temperature the day before in the fridge.
This French yogurt cake is delicious on its own. But if you want to add a bit of indulgence, here are a few ideas:
- Serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream
- Add a dollop of freshly whipped cream
- Vanilla custard sauce
- Fruit coulis
- You can even decorate it with a chocolate ganache: use the ganache recipe from my chocolate mud cake
- use flavored yogurt
- add fruits like berries
- add chocolate chips
- citrus zest: rub the sugar and zest together to enhance the flavor.
More French recipes:
- Apple Yogurt Cake: another easy cake using yogurt.
- Hazelnut Cake: a beautiful bundt cake
- Try the Chocolate Royal Cake, If you’re looking for a slightly more sophisticated cake but still approachable to make.
If you tried this French Yogurt Cake or any recipe on the blog, let me know how you liked it by leaving a comment below or a rating.