This Chocolate Nutella Cake is a rich, decadent chocolate cake with a smooth Nutella frosting, garnished with chocolate shavings, aka a chocolate lover’s dream. If you’re looking for a chocolate cake that is out of the ordinary, this Nutella Cake recipe is just what you need.
This Chocolate Nutella Cake gives you a true sense of indulgence as you eat this delicious cake. It’s a simple dessert, anything fancy and extraordinarily easy to make, but believe me, in every bite, it bursts with a chocolate-hazelnut flavor and incredible textures.
You can’t go wrong with this Chocolate Nutella Cake. It combines the best of both worlds- a moist, dense chocolate cake with a smooth Nutella whipped cream. Either you’re looking for a Nutella birthday cake or an easy dessert recipe for an afternoon treat, you’re going to love this cake!
Why you’ll love this Chocolate Nutella Cake
- An easy chocolate cake recipe.
- A showstopping dessert but very approachable for the home baker.
- The cake itself is super moist and dense, melting in your mouth.
- The Combo hazelnut/chocolate is just super heaven.
- Ready in less than 1 hour, this Nutella dessert recipe is perfect for a teatime with short notice. Just make sure to wait for the cake to cool down before adding the frosting.
The chocolate cake is made with all-purpose flour, Dutch-process cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, caster sugar (or granulated sugar), salt, large eggs, milk, water, and vegetable oil.
The Nutella frosting is made with heavy cream (full fat, called double cream in some countries), mascarpone cheese (full fat), powdered sugar, and Nutella or any chocolate hazelnut spread.
Chocolate shavings for decoration, but that’s optional.
How to make this Nutella Dessert
Easy chocolate cake recipe: in one large bowl, mix the dry ingredients. Then, add the wet ingredients. Mix both. Pour the batter into the cake tin and bake.
Nutella Frosting: add all the ingredients to your bowl. With an electric mixer, beat at low speed until everything is combined. Then, increase the speed slightly and whip until stiff peaks form.
Note: Once the cake is baked and cooled, add the frosting and decorate with chocolate shavings.
Full instructions are at the bottom of the page. Get all measurements, ingredients, and instructions in the printable version at the end of this post.
How to store the Chocolate Nutella Cake?
Store the cake in the refrigerator for up to 2 days under a cake dome.
Can I make ahead of time this cake?
You can prepare the cake itself 1 day in advance; it will stay moist. However, I recommend making the frosting the day you plan to serve the Chocolate Nutella cake.
Can we freeze the chocolate cake?
The cake itself, without the frosting, freezes very well. Wrap with plastic wrap, and place in an airtight container. Freeze for up to a month.
Can I use a different brand of Chocolate hazelnut spread to prepare this Nutella cake recipe?
Of course, as long as the texture is smooth.
- Ingredients at room temperature to prepare the cake.
- Measure the flour correctly. Too much flour and the texture will be drier.
- Don’t over-mix the batter. Mix until just combined.
- Don’t overbake the cake; you still want a few moist crumbs sticking to the toothpick after it comes out.
- Ensure the cake is completely cooled before adding the frosting.
- Use an aluminum cake tin for best results. Light-colored cake tin provides better results.
- Ensure the heavy cream is chilled.
- Use a spoon to soften the mascarpone cheese.
- Heat the Nutella in the microwave until it is slightly softened but not hot. It will be easier to combine.
- Start to whip at low speed until everything is combined, then increase the speed slightly.
Make your own chocolate shavings:
To make chocolate shavings, hold a bar of chocolate at an angle in one hand and a vegetable peeler in the other. Then, with long, even strokes, run the peeler along the side of the bar. Don’t forget to place some baking paper underneath to collect your shavings!
If your chocolate bar is too hard to peel, you can warm it slightly. Place the bar in the microwave for 5-10 seconds, or leave it on a warm surface for a little while. Don’t allow the chocolate to melt, but rewarm it slightly.
Try these recipes, next:
If you tried this Chocolate Nutella Cake or any recipe on the blog, let me know how you liked it by leaving a comment below or a rating.