These Black Forest Cupcakes are a twist from the original cake and still great in flavor with moist chocolate cupcakes, tasteful cherry filling, and topped with homemade whipped cream.
With the cherry on the top and the chocolate shavings, these Black Forest Cupcakes are a show-stopper dessert to impress your guests. These beautiful cherry cupcakes will be great for any special occasion or even just for an afternoon treat with your family.
These Black Forest cupcakes are easier than the traditional Black Forest Layer Cake. Everything is made from scratch to bring the best of flavor with these decadent cupcakes. You can prepare the cherry filling with or without Kirsch (cherry Liquor) for Kid friendly cupcakes.
Why you’ll love these Black Forest Cupcakes
- Easy chocolate cupcake recipe
- A simple version of the Black Forest Cake
- Chocolate cupcakes with filling are always a win
- Chocolate and cherry: a winner combo
- Cherry Chocolate Cupcakes = a sweet treat recipe and great for many occasions.
- Cupcakes with a cherry on top are definitively pretty cupcakes
Note about the ingredients
This Black Forest Cupcakes recipe uses common ingredients. Here are a few precisions for some of them:
Chocolate cupcakes: Dutch-process cocoa
Cherry filling: You can use fresh or frozen cherries.
Whipped cream: heavy cream, 30-36% milk fat and mascarpone cheese, full fat (it stabilizes the whipped cream)
How to make the Black Forest Cupcakes?
- The chocolate cupcakes are a one-bowl recipe: start to mix the dry ingredients and add the wet.
- The cherry filling is based on my raspberry filling recipe; I just replaced the raspberries with the cherries and adapted the quantity. Read the article full of tips to succeed in the recipe.
- Once the cupcakes are baked and fully cooled, you can fill them with cherry filling. I like to add a half cherry in the center to add a bit of texture.
- Then, when ready to decorate, prepare the whipped cream. Add all the ingredients to a bowl, and with an electric mixer, whip until stiff peaks.
- Place the whipping cream in a piping bag with a round piping tip and decorate your cupcakes.
- Sprinkle chocolate shavings and add a cherry on the top.
How to store the Black Forest Cupcakes?
Store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
How to core the cupcakes?
First thing, wait until they’re completely cooled. Use a cupcake corer, but if you don’t have one, you can use an apple corer.
Twist the cupcake corer down through the top without hitting bottom.
Can I make ahead of time these Black Forest Cupcakes?
- You can prepare the filling a few days in advance. Then, keep it in the fridge until ready to use.
- You can also prepare the chocolate cupcakes one day in advance.
- Then, prepare the whipped cream and assemble the black forest cupcakes a few hours before serving them.
Can we freeze the cupcakes?
The chocolate cupcakes freeze very well. However, freeze the cupcakes before any assembling.
You can also freeze the cherry filling (separately from the cupcakes), it will lose a lit bit of smoothness, but it will still taste amazing.
Tips to prepare the Cherry Cupcakes
- For the cupcakes: Ingredients at room temperature. Ensure the cupcakes are completely cooled before making a hole for the filling.
- If you don’t have a cupcake corer, use an apple corer to make the hole: twist an apple corer down through the top without hitting bottom.
- To fill the cupcakes, you can use a piping bag. Fill it with the cherry filling and just cut the end, no need to add a piping tip.
- Whipped cream: Place a bowl and whisk attachment to the freezer before whipping the heavy cream. It helps to whip faster.
Try these recipes, next:
If you tried these Black Forest Cupcakes or any recipe on the blog, let me know how you liked it by leaving a comment or a rating below.